As schools and universities begin a new term, our prayer focus this month is on the Next Generation. In Matthew 19:14 Jesus says: “Let the little children come to Me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”
Jesus has a value for the young; despite the fact that they’re still learning, He isn’t fixated on what they’re getting right but simply on being close to them. Have you ever seen a child “trust in the Lord with all [their] heart, lean not on [their] own understanding”’ (Proverbs 3:5)? Somehow children have the capacity for faith in God beyond what many of us ‘more mature’ adults can muster. Children can reveal to us what it looks like to innocently trust a Good Father and to trust that He will do what He said He would do (Any parents accidentally told their children they can have an ice cream later? They remember!)
Our children and young people are going through a process that we, as adults, have all been through: a process of discovery and learning, forming belief structures and character as they experience the world. However, today’s youth are having to do this in a time of great uncertainty around identity, truth and institutional trust. It is a good time for us to pray for the Next Generation!
- If there are children you know, perhaps in your family, find a scripture that you can pray over them as a promise this school year and incorporate it into your evening prayers each night
- Think about the school or university that you live closest to. How could you incorporate praying for that institution in your prayer times? You could even take prayer walks around the area regularly.
- Do you know any teachers? They need our prayers! Reach out to them to find out how to pray for them.
- Choose one issue facing young people in this generation and pray about it. Sometimes it helps to be really specific so that we don’t get overwhelmed by the size of the issue!
- Pray about the media as it affects the young. Pray for TV shows and social media. Pray for regulation and safety and for positive influence.
- Pray for the King’s Kids and for our youth within the church, and for those who are just going off to university. Pray for a thriving faith for the young, for dreams in the night, for provision of their needs, and for whole families to come to faith through their witness.
CELEBRATE WITH US!
King’s Kids update from Jess Fordham: In King’s Kids we are always trying to find exciting ways to teach the next generation about God and His love for them. This summer, we invited children from within King’s Arms and the local community to join us for our Holiday Club. Each day we got to connect with the kids and spent time learning how Jesus is the ultimate Superhero! One of the children was astonished to find out that as followers of Jesus, the Holy Spirit actually lives in us. It was the perfect opportunity for them to hear about God’s heart and give them the tools to grow in their relationship with Him, all while having lots of fun!
Katy Ryland & The eFocus Team